Hello, I’m a foreigner

August 11th, 2015 hmbutl17

Oh, that’s right. I’m studying abroad. 

After a month and a half of exploring the city, practicing my Spanish, and becoming acclimated to Argentine life, it is time to take on my important role as “student” in Buenos Aires. Living in a foreign country can be quite intimidating, but studying and attending classes as a foreigner is a whole other ball game. Let’s take a look…

image

First day of school! First day of school!

Tuesday, August 4th was no ordinary day. Not only did I have my first class (Filosofía/Philosophy) at 8AM but I also had an 8AM appointment with the lovely Argentine migrations office (something about becoming a legal resident in this country… I don’t know). Of course, the meeting to obtain my student visa was not optional so I showed up an hour late to my first class at USAL. Now, arriving 1 hour late to a 3.5 hour class isn’t too bad by Argentine standards, but for a student who is set in her Holy Cross ways, it was a pretty big deal…and yes, I’m usually that kid who will be in her seat 30 minutes before lecture even starts.

So, basically I walk into Aula (Room) 104, the professor stops lecturing, and all eyes are on me. I attempt to not look flustered as I take the first open seat (front row, right in front of the professor) but make as much noise as possible sitting down and getting situated. Realizing that the class has come to a grinding halt since I barged through the door, I look up and timidly say the only thing that comes to mind: “Hola, soy extranjera.” 

Are you kidding me, Haylie? The first thing you say in your very first class in Argentina is, “Hello, I’m a foreigner”? Yes, yes it was. And while it was extremely embarrassing at the time and quite possibly the dumbest thing I could have said, the professor was intrigued that I was from the U.S. and the rest of the class went fairly well. Plus, my one-liner no doubt makes for another good story.

“Science Lib, where are you?”

So the first week of school is officially done…and I have to admit that I miss Holy Cross a tiny bit. Sure, it is really really REALLY nice to only have classes Tuesday through Thursday. And yes, it was a blessing that I could skip the stressful registration on STAR and freely enroll in any Argentine class of my choosing. image

However, I find myself missing the things I often took for granted: studying for hours in my secret spot in Science, running to Kimball for a midday snack, making my 5 minute walk from dorm to class, and being able to swipe that Crusader Card for any and everything. Here, I have classes all over the city. Instead of walking a couple minutes to lecture, my commute either consists of a 20 minute subte/colectivo ride or a 30 minute fast-walk. And forget about studying in a library (or any quiet place for that matter). You got your pick of noisy coffee shops and crowded cafes.

With that said, I could not be happier here. I know that studying abroad comes with challenges and “new normals.” I expect I’ll soon find my favorite study spot in BA, know where to go for a delicious and affordable lunch between classes, and become so accustomed to my bus route that I no longer have to stare at the GPS app on my iPhone while I commute.

Here’s to making this next week of school a great one and our upcoming trip to Iguazu Falls!

Talk to you real soon.

image

Besos,

Haylie 🙂

This week I learned…
1.) That I lose my SUBE card in BA as easily as I lose my Crusader Card at HC. Plus side: I bought a nifty purple protector sleeve with my new card in hopes that making it bulkier will make it more difficult to lose. #bleedpurple 

image
2.) Starbucks is my new Dinand Library.
3.) 2 kilos of Freddo ice-cream (a popular ice-cream store here in BA) is way too much for 6 people to share.

image

Haylie Butler '17

• Studies: Biology and Spanish double major with a premedical concentration
  • Hometown: Rossmorr, Calif.
  •  
  • Read more about Haylie »