I fell for the falls

August 18th, 2015 hmbutl17

“No, this is not photoshopped.”

image

This past weekend we took our first Holy Cross trip to Iguazu Falls–one of the most incredible, stunning, and beautiful locations in Argentina (and I’d venture to say the whole world). There is no better word to describe these falls than impresionante…I mean look at the image above. Most people would assume I’m standing in front of a green screen. But the huge crashing falls, blue sky, and perfect rainbow were all real. I swear.

While it may not officially be considered one of the 10 Wonders of the World, it should be…and I recommend everyone adding it to their bucket list. The national park offers a variety of trails to explore. You can get up close and personal with the falls…and attempt to capture the stunning views through the lens of a camera.

image image

imageHowever, my favorite part of the whole day was definitely the 20 minute boat ride into the falls. Life jackets on and cameras packed away, we got absolutely blasted by the waters of Iguazu. Before getting on the boat, our tour guide said, “prepare to get  a light
shower“…as you can guess, a gross underrepresentation of how wet we were about to get.

Farewell, Iguazu! I will see you again in the future. 

Without a doubt, this was an absolutely wonderful trip and I can’t wait for our next two Holy Cross trips to Salta and Mendoza later this semester.

image

image image

And seriously, don’t forget to add Iguazu Falls to that bucket list of yours…I promise you won’t regret it.

Talk to you real soon!

Besos,

Haylie 🙂

image

This week I learned…

1.) that 18 hour bus rides are significantly less painful than 25 hour long bus rides.image

2.) how to better my time-lapse video taking skills since Bariloche. Watch my time-lapse of one of the largest falls in Iguazu here!

3.) that good wifi should not be expected at hostels.

4 Responses to “I fell for the falls”

1. Hi Haylie ! Amazing pictures you have to share! So happy for you to be able to experience life in another country. But a little envious too ! I worked for a company that was based in Argentina and had occasion to talk to the owner of the company by phone. Those people can’t be rushed ! I would call and be in a hurry to get off the phone because I had work to do, but would have to go through a litany of questions, are you new there, how long have you been working there, what’s the weather like, how is your family ???? After maybe 15 minutes of niceties, I could start talking business ! I love the video of the falls, looks amazing ! Como te va con tu Español ? I would have written this all in Spanish but the autocorrect won’t let me !! Have a great rest of your semester and keep the pictures, videos and blogs coming ! Love you sweetie! ! Mrs. E.

• hmbutl17 says:

Hi Mrs. E! I am so glad you are enjoying the blog and all my stories from Argentina. Yes, the culture is quite different here…much slower pace and things don’t usually begin on time. While it is sometimes frustrating, I have learned to get used to it and embrace it 🙂
      And my Spanish is definitely improving! I’ll continue to write and share my experiences. Love you too!

2. Gloria Kam says:

¡Hola Haylie!
    Me encantan tus fotos y también tu comentario tan interesante. Estás en medio de una gran aventura, y ¡qué bueno que aprovechas de todos las oportunidades que tienes (o buscas, el equipo de fútbol, por ejemplo :). Las cascadas me parecen maravillas del mundo también. Disfruta los dos meses que te quedan y me encantaría verte e invitarte a hablar con mis clases avanzadas para explicar tus experiencias. Te deseo todo lo mejor.
    Cariñosamente,
    Sra. Kam

• hmbutl17 says:

Hola Sra. Kam!!
      Muchas gracias para tus comentarios amables:) Me encantaría hablar con tus clases avanzadas…después de Argentina y Costa Rica, voy a tener muchas historias para contar y experiencias para compartir!
      Abrazo,
      Haylie

Haylie Butler '17

• Studies: Biology and Spanish double major with a premedical concentration
  • Hometown: Rossmorr, Calif.
  •  
  • Read more about Haylie »