A Trip to Napa

October 14th, 2015 hmbutl17

The last hurrah! 

This past weekend, we (the Holy Cross Five) took our third and final group trip of the semester. Wait, what?!? Yes, our time abroad in Argentina is extremely close to being over. Luckily, this three day exploration of Mendoza, commonly referred to as the Napa Valley of Argentina, gave us a nice little break before our last five weeks of exams, projects, and final goodbyes.

image    image

Do you want some cheese with that wine?

image  image  image

After a 14 hour bus ride, we arrived in Mendoza and jumped right into a full day of wine/olive tours. At each winery we learned the history of the company, saw how the wine was produced, and, of course, enjoyed a complimentary tasting. The vineyards were beautiful and the wines were outstanding.

image  image  image

My favorite part of the day, however, was visiting Pasrai–a company that grows, produces, and exports a large assortment of olive oil and dried fruits. The name itself is quite interesting. Pasa in Spanish is raisin…so the company name is actually a creative combination of both the Spanish and English word for raisin. We did a tasting here as well and I would recommend their garlic extra virgen olive oil…definitely some of the best I’ve ever had!

Ain’t no mountain high enough 

image
The second day we had the opportunity to see Aconcagua, the highest mountain in the Western and Southern Hemispheres. Even though it’s technically spring down here, most of the ground was still covered in snow which allowed for some snow ball fights and reminiscing of HC winter.

The other landscapes seen on the way were absolutely breathtaking. Look out the window and you were either passing vast green valleys, bright blue lakes, rock formations of various coloration, or snow-covered peaks.

image   image   image

Chao, for now!

Before heading home on the third day, we did a wonderful excursion that included a 1.5 hour horseback ride through the campo (field) followed by a parrilla (traditional Argentine barbecue). Having lived in Argentina for four months, I have experienced my fair share of parrillas. This one, however, was by far the most delicious, fun, and authentic…and the perfect way to end our stay in Mendoza! There’s nothing like getting on a 14 hour bus ride with a full and happy stomach.

image

Now back in BA, it’s time to buckle down. With a final exam tomorrow and the others just on the horizon, there’s not much time for me to scroll through pictures and think about how much fun I’ve had on all my Holy Cross trips this semester. All I can say is that I feel so fortunate to have visited three very interesting, unique, and distinct regions of Argentina through HC and I will no doubt look back on Iguazu, Salta, and Mendoza as highlights of my “South American Semester” come November.

Bye for now!

Besos,

Haylie 🙂

image

This week I learned…

1. how to properly hold una copa de vino–a glass of wine.

2. that Mezcal (Mexican restaurant) in Buenos Aires, is much better than Mezcal in Worcester (ya, not a fan). Being from California, I am very picky about my Mexican food and I finally found a place here that serves well-seasoned guac and understands the value of adding cilantro to street tacos.

3. that the Teatro Colon, the famous theatre here in BA, is absolutely gorgeous. It was a treat to see the ballet of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet in such a remarkable and historical place.

2 Responses to “A Trip to Napa”

1. Bonnie Neumeier says:

Thanks for sharing Haylie. Good luck on all your exams. Love
    Aunt Bonnie

2. Angie Butler says:

Loved this post Haylie and all the pictures! You look so happy! What an amazing experience for you! Good luck with your exams! I’m praying for you! Love, Mommy

Haylie Butler '17

• Studies: Biology and Spanish double major with a premedical concentration
  • Hometown: Rossmorr, Calif.
  •  
  • Read more about Haylie »