My worst and best day ever (and advice on traveling abroad)

June 22nd, 2015 hmbutl17

“I’m sorry. You just missed your flight.” 

Story time, everyone! It was a bright and shiny Saturday in Orlando, Florida. Haylie woke up very excited because today she would be traveling to Buenos Aires, Argentina for her first semester abroad. She repacked all her things, sorted all her important documents, and spent some quality time with her family before heading to the airport. They all decided it was best for her to take a short 30 minute flight from Orlando to Miami (ya, bad idea) and then get on her 9 hour flight from Miami to Buenos Aires (mhm, I missed it). Everything seemed wonderful when she said goodbye to her family at the security checkpoint–little did she know it would be the worst traveling experience of her life (yes, it was worse than the 38 hour trip I made from LA to India last summer).

me before airport catastrophe

me BEFORE airport catastrophe

So I don’t bore/ frighten you with all the details, my transition from the U.S. to Argentina went a little like this: A lightening storm in Orlando turned my 30 minute flight into a 4 hour transition. Once I landed in Miami, I had ten minutes to exit the plane, sprint to the international terminal, and go through security (just imagine my dad begging the gate agent to hold the plane on the phone while I’m running around the airport like a chicken with my head cut off). Of course, I missed the flight. And then when I finally landed in Argentina, my luggage was nowhere to be found.

To avoid my predicament, here’s my advice for your next trip abroad:

1. Check the weather! Thunderstorms do matter.
  2. When you have the opportunity to drive from Orlando to Miami to catch an international flight, just drive.
  3. Pack snacks–there are none available on the runway in a lightening storm or in the airport past 8 PM
  4. No matter how bad you smell after sitting on a plane or sprinting through an airport, don’t stop to buy deodorant. You don’t have time.
  5. Bring a change of clothes in your carry-on in case your luggage gets lost!

I know what you’re thinking: “Haylie, why is this entitled the worst and best day ever?” Because when I arrived at my host mom’s house, everything immediately got better. I felt welcome, loved, and above all, a part of the family. And even though I was beyond exhausted and hadn’t slept in nearly 24 hours, we had a big dinner with the entire familia. We ate and talked…and I was happy.

Moral of this story: Even on your worst day, don’t lose hope. It may turn out to be your best:)

Now to explore this beautiful city!

Haylie:)

Marité, Ingrid, y yo

Marité (mi mamá), Ingrid (mi hermana), y yo

mi familia

mi familia

2 Responses to “My worst and best day ever (and advice on traveling abroad)”

1. Dear Haylie Bug! So glad it turned out to be the best day ever! I love seeing you happy and with a smile! I guess we should have made the 4 1/2 hour trip to take you. Even with 4 hours between flights, you missed it! We thought that was plenty of time! LOL!!! You should have posted a picture after finally getting to your destination! The before and after would have been quite different, I’m sure. “Happiness is the Journey, Not the Destination!” You never mentioned that you finally got your luggage! I truly hope you enjoy this semester and I’m so happy you found a home away from home! Your lavender room awaits you! Love, Mommie Butler<3

2. Guada says:

Que lindas palabras!!!
    Bienvenida a la familia y que puedas disfrutar al máximo tu paso por Argentina!!!! 🙂

Haylie Butler '17

• Studies: Biology and Spanish double major with a premedical concentration
  • Hometown: Rossmorr, Calif.
  •  
  • Read more about Haylie »