Meet the Squad

July 21st, 2015 hmbutl17

It’s hard to believe I have been here exactly one month. Today (July 21st) marks the day I can no longer say, “I am spending five months in Buenos Aires.” All of a sudden, one month is  gone and the four ahead seem to be chanting, “Let’s go, Haylie! Make the most of the time you have left!”

While this past week has been busy with the end of my intensive grammar/culture course, finals, and an incredible trip to Bariloche, Argentina (the sole topic of my next blog!), it is only fair that I take this time to formally introduce my wonderful HC companions…or rather, have them introduce themselves 🙂

Together, we made the trip from Holy Cross to Universidad del Salvador.

Dinand library  USAL builidng

Although it is a much different environment and winter in Argentina cannot compare to the frigid, snowy tundra that is Worcester, we have managed to create our own little HC community right here in BA.

Before I let them do the talking, I will say this: I feel very fortunate to have ended up in Argentina with such incredible people and I’m excited for all the adventures we will share during this semester abroad!

So without further ado, I invite you to meet The Squad!

Meet Robert!image

Graduating Year: 2017

Major: Biology and Spanish, Premed

Fun Fact: I made an appearance on the Today Show while proudly representing a Holy Cross shirt.

Passions: Medicine, languages, traveling, basketball, quality family time, fruit juice

Favorite memories so far in Argentina: watching Argentina beat Paraguay in the Copa America semifinal.  Visiting all the unique neighborhoods of Buenos Aires.

Say hey to Cassandra!image

Graduating Year: 2017

Major: Spanish

Fun fact: I surfed at North Shore beach in Hawaii.

Passions: Singing, Dancing, Elephants, and Empanadas

Favorite memories so far in Argentina: Watching fútbol games during la Copa Americana, exploring the Recoleta and San Telmo fairs, and trying all the different food!

Here’s Dan! image

Graduating Year: 2017

Major: Political Science, Concentration in Latin American and Latino Studies

Fun Fact: I’m an Eagle Scout

Passions: Basketball, fútbol, politics, and traveling

Favorite memories so far in Argentina: Exploring the city, sitting in BA’s cafes, watching fútbol with friends.

This is Jef! (please call me Jeffy)

Graduating Year: 2016image

Major: Spanish and History, Concentration in Latin American and Latino Studies

Fun Fact: Although my accent does not give it way, I am actually an Indonesian (of Chinese descent) immigrant. Living in OKC since 98 BABY!

Passions: Traveling, sightseeing, meeting new people and places

Favorite memories so far in Argentina: Talking to native portuguese-speaking Brazilians in Spanish

And then there’s ME!image

Graduating Year: 2017

Major: Biology and Spanish, Premed

Fun Fact: My mom is one of 20 children and I’m number 52 of 130+ cousins

Passions: neonatology, ice-skating, volleyball, and guacamole

Favorite memories so far in Argentina: Watching Argentina beat Paraguay 6-1 in the semifinals of Copa America and eating dinner each night with mi familia!

And that’s a wrap!

Now anytime I mention Rob, Cassie, Dan, or Jef in my posts (while explaining super exciting and fun activities, of course), you will know exactly who I am talking about.  🙂

See ya real soon!

Besos,

Haylie

2 Responses to “Meet the Squad”

1. Thanks for sharing your companions with us. You are embarking on an adventure that will be transformative. Take everything in, take daily notes and pictures, pictures, pictures !! So happy for you to be able to experience such a journey. Take care, love you and I’m adding you to my prayer list for a wonderful experience !

Alicia Eppinger

2. Alice Baldwin says:

Looks like a fun group of people!

Haylie Butler '17

• Studies: Biology and Spanish double major with a premedical concentration
  • Hometown: Rossmorr, Calif.
  •  
  • Read more about Haylie »