The End.

November 21st, 2015 hmbutl17

Sitting at the airport in Buenos Aires, Argentina…trying to figure out a couple of things while my flight is (of course) delayed: (1) how my five months abroad in South America are actually over, (2) what I would like my first meal to be upon landing in the states, and (3) what I will do in the likely scenario that I miss my connection from Peru to L.A. (Flash forward 20 hours, I did not miss my flight and am finally home in sunny southern California!).

The last four weeks here have been hectic to say the least (hence, why I have had “0” time to write a blog). Between final exams, our semester-long Independent Cultural Immersion Project (ICIP), and one last trip to the Patagonia region, I haven’t been able to stop and realize that I am actually leaving. The country I have called “home” since June will soon just be another place I lived and hope to visit again in the future.

“The end of the world”

My final trip to Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world (often referred to as “the end of the world”), gave me the perfect opportunity to slow down, relax, and reflect on my time abroad in Argentina. I mean what better way to celebrate the end of my five month journey than a small jaunt to the end of the world.

image  image  IMG_4957

The remote little fishing town of Ushuaia, nestled perfectly between the Martial range of the Andes and the historic Beagle Channel, has to be the most beautiful place I have been in my entire 20 years of living (long time, I know). There’s something so surreal about being that close to Antarctica–about looking out onto the southern ocean and knowing that the mysterious, ice-covered continent is only a boat ride away.

IMG_4791  image  image

My most memorable part of the trip was canoeing the Beagle Channel–paddling the same waters that Charles Darwin explored in 1833. Yes, Charles Darwin! The man who proposed the theory of evolution and coined important biological buzzwords like “survival of the fittest.” As a Biology major, I simply could not contain my excitement.

On this same excursion, I also got to come within arm’s reach of penguins in their natural habitat. Enjoy this video of los pingüinos!!!

Caio, Caio for now!

Five months ago, I sat in the Miami International Airport and wrote my first blog. I expressed my fears for beginning my Junior year in a foreign country, I shared my anticipation for all the unknown adventures, friendships, and memories that were about to develop and unfold. And, I said:

“It’s a great feeling really–almost like when you are about to jump into a river from the high rocky ledge above. Everyone is yelling at you to jump but you are not sure if you’re quite ready. Are you prepared for what will come? What will happen once you hit the surface? But you eventually take that leap…because you know in the end you’ll be glad you did.”

Well, I’m at the end. I took that leap, I swam the river that is Argentina with all my might, and I can say without any hesitation, “I’m glad I did.”

Words cannot express how fortunate I feel to have lived a semester in this incredible country, to have deepened my understanding of latin american culture, and to have improved in my level of conversational Spanish.

But…it is now time to head back to the U.S.A. Thank you, Argentina for an unforgettable semester. And thank you to everyone who became a part of my Argentine familia! Without you, this experience would not have been nearly as special or rewarding.

image  IMG_3594 IMG_4220 IMG_4083 IMG_4090

Until my next semester-long adventure!

Besos,

Haylie 🙂

image

This semester in Argentina I learned…

1.) that there is much more to Argentine culture than meat, fútbol, and the tango (not to downplay their highly significant role).

2.) how to survive without Wifi at the most inconvenient of times.

3.) that dulce de leche, while very delicious, is NOT an acceptable replacement for good old U.S.A. peanut butter.

3 Responses to “The End.”

1. Love this Haylie! I love your heart too! You have enriched many along your journey in Argentina too. This city was lucky to have you. <3 Glad to have you home again! …so I can help you prepare for your next adventure:-)

2. Bonnie Neumeier says:

Haylie
    Glad your time in Argentina was memorable. I am
    Sure the experience stretched your growth.
    love
    AUNT BONNIE

3. Todd L., LCSW says:

Thanks for the read! You have inspired me to add Argentina to my bucket list!

Haylie Butler '17

• Studies: Biology and Spanish double major with a premedical concentration
  • Hometown: Rossmorr, Calif.
  •  
  • Read more about Haylie »